UPDAET: 11/16/19 7:56 a.m. EST
dpa, Hamburg, Germany
The teenage suspect in a school shooting that took the lives of two students in California on Thursday has died in hospital, local media reported.
Citing the sheriff’s department, the Los Angeles Times and CBS Los Angeles reported that the boy died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Friday afternoon.
Authorities said that the suspect, a student at the high school in Santa Clarita, north of Los Angeles, carried out the attack on his 16th birthday.
A 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy were killed in the incident, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said. Three others were wounded by the suspect, before he also shot himself.
The three injured students are in a stable condition.
Investigators had seized unregistered firearms from the teenage suspect’s home, and were still trying to determine the origin of the handgun used in the attack, the Los Angeles Times reported on Friday.
Authorities said there was no other suspect and no known ideology behind the attack. They also said they did not know the teen’s motive but would begin their investigation by interviewing students who witnessed the attack.
©2019 Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany)
Visit Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany) at www.dpa.de/English.82.0.html
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.
One person has died and several others are in critical condition following a shooting Thursday morning at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, near Los Angeles, sheriff’s officials say.
Sheriff Alex Villanueva told KCBS that a 15-year-old believed to be the shooter is in custody and being treated at a hospital after shooting himself in the head. Two of the six people injured in the shooting have died, he said.
A female student, aged 16, has died of her injuries, along with a 14-year-old male student.
But Villanueva said in a live phone call to the station that he did not know how many of the injured are students, teachers, or other school employees.
He said the teen gunman apparently shot himself, and said he was not shot by a deputy. Authorities had been searching for the teen, unaware that he had already been taken to a hospital.
“The threat has been eliminated,” Villanueva said.
Villanueva described an “avalanche” of 911 calls after the shooting, adding that some off-duty sheriff’s personnel had been dropping their children off at the campus at the time.
Henry Mayo Hospital confirmed on Twitter that one of the injured being treated there had died.
“We have multiple victims down,” said Sgt. Bob Boese of the LA County Sheriff’s Department, KNBC reported.
Teens hid in closets
Authorities received reports of a shooting at the campus just before 8 a.m., according to the Los Angeles Times.
“I am terrified for everyone at Saugus High School,” wrote one woman on Twitter. “It’s 10 minutes from my home. I have good friends that go to school there, they are twins. Max got walked to the nearby park. Madison saw the shooting and ran to a room with no lock, she (barricaded) herself in.”
“All of a sudden we hear this distinctive sound outside, so my teacher quickly sprang to his feet,” said student Mason Peters, KCBS reported. “Got up, locked the door, (he) asked one of the students to get the keys. So we reinforced it. Turned off all the lights. Then we got a bunch of desks and stuff and reinforced the doors. And then we all stayed hidden.”
“My friends who are still stuck in school, they’re hiding in closets,” one teenager at the school said, according to CNN.
“It was one and then four quick ones, so bang, and then bang, bang, bang, bang,” another said, according to the network.
Parent Brian Skiba said his daughter fled at the sound of gunfire, KCBS reported.
“She heard the shots as well, she was in the quad where it started, and ran to the band room and locked the door behind her and told everybody to get down,” Skiba said, according to the network.
One injured student was found in the school choir room, KCBS reported.
The city of Santa Clarita, which is about 40 miles north of Los Angeles, reported that a reunification point for students and parents had been established at Central Park.
All schools in the William S. Hart District have been locked down, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Reaction floods in
Reaction to reports of the shooting poured in from across the United States.
©2019 The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.)
Visit The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.) at www.sacbee.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.