NYPost – Welcome to the remedial policing at the NYPD.
NYPD recruits are about to get intense training on how to be a model cop that includes such pointers as don’t be racist, don’t engage in ethnic or sexist jokes and always speak slowly and clearly — especially when addressing people with limited English skills.
Peter Zimroth, a federal monitor overseeing reforms to cops’ stop-and-frisk tactics under a court order, asked Manhattan federal Judge Analisa Torres Monday to greenlight 140 pages of new training material – including power-point slides – to the current class of cadets who will be graduating this June.
Among the rules set to be hammered home on rookies:
- Do not tell or tolerate ethnic, racial or sexist jokes.
- Avoid expressing stereotypical assumptions.
- Do not imitate the speech patterns of others.
- Do not use terms or words that devalue groups of people.
- Do not engage in racial profiling, adding “it diverts us from catching real criminals.”
- When dealing with people who use English as a second language “speak slowly and … clearly” do not use jargon, slang, idioms, or reduced forms (e.g. “gonna,” “gotta,” “wanna,” “couldja”)
You can read the whole article at the NY Post.