Written by a Texas LEO
It seems like everyday we hear the same things about criminal justice reform. Most of us in the business agree that there is a need in some areas. After all, if you’re not progressing, you’re really just moving backward.
HOWEVER. You should keep this in mind:
– Cops are getting indicted in many of the more “newsworthy” incidents. And the cases are often dismissed. Not by other cops, but by judges and juries of all different racial makeup. This trend is making officers less likely to use justified deadly force.. Even when their life or YOUR life is dependent upon it.
– Laws are being changed in relation to drugs. Sure, it’s “progressive”. But you should know that most of the violent crime in this country stems from those very drugs. Whether it’s a user supporting an addiction or a dealer pushing his product, these situations constantly turn violent.
– Cops are being ambushed in staggering numbers. Cops dying isn’t new, but being ambushed and slaughtered is a newer trend. And it appears to be here to stay thanks to liberal politics and biased media coverage.
– Recruiting rates are at all time lows. And retirement is up. Meaning? Slower response time to your house when your alarm goes off. Decreased police presence at the calls for service that aren’t considered “emergencies”. And less backup for officers when chaos strikes.
– Departments are relaxing standards in a desperate effort to recruit, and that spells future trouble for an already embattled police force.
Again, everyone agrees on common sense reforms. But demonizing an entire community based on a handful of isolated incidents is dangerous. And it’s a slippery slope all the way to the bottom.
Support your police. Join up. Stop criticizing and be the change you so frequently say you desire. Come out and see what this job is actually like.. It might surprise you.